blethers

Friday, November 17, 2006

Perfect Killer.

I remember seeing a TV programme, many years ago now, presented (and probably written) by my all-time favourite presenter: John Romer. It might have been his series TESTAMENT, but in any case, he was in Agya Sophia, the great, formerly Christian, cathedral of Istanbul. He was mulling over what it was that made Santa Sophia, to his mind, the 'best' great building 'in the world'. He homed in on the construction, and, in particular, pointed out the details of the carving round one of the doors ... it was a carved vine running round the door, and he pointed out that, though every leaf was nominally identical, because the work had been done by craftsmen, each leaf was slightly different from the next. In other words, he was saying that the greatness of Agya Sophia rested on ITS IMPERFECTIONS.


I totally understand what Romer was talking about and where it was coming from. I, too, have visited Santa Sophia, several times, and I can say I felt just as he did, though, at the time, I could not say why I liked the place so very much ... all I knew was that when I walked through those doors I got a buzz such as I have experienced nowhere else.


Now I understand WHY. The fact is that it is HUMAN, and VERY SOPHISTICATED to be imperfect. To copy imperfectly is to be creative ... this is how nature does it, and, talking of creative ideas ... would you not have liked to be the one to think up the idea of the 'wing', or the 'eye' .... I mean, starting from a lot of dust floating around in space, and to have the creativity to get from there to this planet with all its plants and animals and people .... well, all I can say is THAT IS WHAT I CALL CREATIVE!


So, poeple of the world unite: get rid of copyright laws and patents and all those other rules that serve only the interests of the wealthy, the merchants and the bankers, and that kill the natural creativity that is innate in every human being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home